(From left to right) representatives of self proclaimed “People’s Republic of Donetsk”, Prime Minister Alexander Zakharchenko (L), Donetsk rebel leader Andrei Purgin (2nd L) and “People Republic of Luhansk” Igor Plotnitsky (2nd R) attend talks in Minsk. © AFP
Editor’s note: This is the Kyiv Post’s unofficial translation of the Protocol on ceasefire and other agreements reached by the Trilateral negotiation group in Minsk on Sept. 5. The original in Russian can be found here.
Based on the results of consultations of the Trilateral contact group regarding joint steps towards implementation of the Peace Plan of President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and initiatives of President of Russia Vladimir Putin.
As a result of consideration and discussion of the proposals from members of consultations in Minsk on Sept. 1. 2014, the Trilateral contact group composed of representatives from Ukraine, Russian Federation and Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, an understanding was reached regarding the need to take the following steps:
- Provide for immediate and two-sided ceasefire.
- Provide monitoring and verification from the side of OSCE of the ceasefire.
- Conduct decentralization of power, including through approval of the Law of Ukraine “On temporary order of local self-government in certain districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions” (Law on special status)
- Provide permanent monitoring at the Ukrainian-Russian state border, and verification by OSCE, with creation of a safety zone in the areas adjacent to the border in Ukraine and Russian Federation.
- Immediately free all hostages and illegally held persons.
- Approve a law to prevent persecution and punishment of persons in relation to events that took place in certain districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions of Ukraine.
- Continue an inclusive national dialogue.
- Take measures to improve the humanitarian situation in Donbas.
- Conduct early local elections in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On temporary order of local self-government in certain districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions” (Law on special status).
- Remove illegal military formations, military equipment and militants and mercenaries from the territory of Ukraine.
- Approve a program for economic development of Donbas and renew the vital functions of the region.
- Give guarantees of personal security for participants of consultations.
Members of the Trilateral contact group:
Ambassador Heidi Tagliavini (Signed)
Second President of Ukraine L.D. Kuchma (Signed)
Ambassador of Russian Federation to Ukraine M.Yu.Zurabov (Signed)
A.V. Zakharchenko (Signed)
I.V. Plotnitskiy (Signed)